Thursday, November 8, 2012

Featured Merchandising Student: Lindy Maddox

Let's face it. Finding internships is not always easy. Sometimes it's who you know. Sometimes it's what you know. But in reality, it's about your passion and what effort you put in towards that dream internship.


If you want to know how to get started in your search or even what trends you can find on the campus of ECU, Trendy Lindy knows it all. Her resume would need to be professionally bound with all of the amazing things this senior Fashion Merchandising student has accomplished. On top of having her own blog, Lindy has established herself as a wonderful writer for College Fashionista as well as a fashion columnist for The East Carolinian (As if your own blog Trendy Lindy wasn't enough :) )

This college fashionista has done it all by trusting in herself, her faith, and her drive to take initiative.

Read Lindy's interview to see what she has done throughout her college career.

MP: Give me a timeline of what you've done that has brought you to today.

LM: 
Fall semester of my freshman year I made my own blog. It was called Pirates Prevailing Taste and I took pictures of people on campus for fun. I would have posts about hair, trends, outfit of the day (OOTD)...It was really hard because I didn't have a good camera. 

That same year I heard about a blog called A Blond Ambition that I really liked so I emailed the creator (who is from Arkansas where they are big on fashion) asking if she had an intern. She had never had an intern before but asked me if I could co-author her blog, and we became good friends.

Sophomore year I found College Fashionista and applied to be a Style Guru for East Carolina. 

That semester I was contacted by Charlotte Style Magazine who asked me if I wanted to work with them. I shadowed a stylist who worked on photo shoots, picking accessories, etc. 

My junior year I went to New York with my family and met with my boss at College Fashionista. I knew we were going to be in the same area so I contacted her to see if we could meet. Since then we've become closer. The next semester I applied to be the social media intern for College Fashionista, where I am in charge of the Tumblr.

Before this past summer I applied to over 25 different companies and didn't hear back from any but one. I got an internship at a PR agency in Boston. I moved to Boston in May and started my internship two days after getting there. It wasn't what I expected it to be but sometimes you have to start somewhere to know what you really want to do.  

In June, I got another job in Boston working at Urban Outfitters which is the 2nd largest UO in the country. 

In July, I received an email from CollegeFashionista about writing for USA Today in September. Only 12 people are chosen a year from College Fashionista. I got the chance to write about the fashion on ECU's campus, which was really exciting. 

This month I went on a trip to New York for Teen Vogue Fashion U 2012. I found the program online and applied. Only about 500 people are accepted to attend. I had to pay for the program and my way to New York, but it was worth the money. It made me realize how many people are trying to get into the industry.
  

MP: What do you think has lead to your success so far?

LM: Taking initiative. Some people think an internship will just fall into their lap, but it won't. It's about making your own connections. Find something you have in common with  someone and go from there, even if you don't know them. 

MP: What do you wish you knew before today that could have helped?

LM: I wish I would have been able to find out more about the internship in Boston before spending all of that money. 
            
Do your research! You have to hope for the best, but expect the worst.

MP: Where do you get your fashion inspiration?

LM: From blogs. Some of my favorite blogs are...

-FashionToast
-The Sartorialist (because they have different styles) 
-Natalie Off Duty
-See Jane.



I hope Lindy has inspired you to go out and find that dream job, make that call, and send that email. All it takes is a drive for success and willingness to step out of your comfort zone. You don't have to wait for your advisor, teachers, or parents to tell you when to start doing what you love. If you want to start a blog NOTHING IS STOPPING YOU. Express yourself in creative ways so you can have something to show at your next interview.


Take chances. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.