Sunday, December 2, 2012

Featured Interview: Dana Boerckel

Inspiration is the fuel to fulfill any goal, dream, or be what leads one to reaching their self-potential.
Since entering in the Merchandising program here at ECU, I’ve been learning how to prepare for life after undergrad. Advisory board discussions, AIMO meetings, and the merchandising courses have all been wonderful resources to help guide and provide understanding about the fashion business. Having passion for what you do when it comes to choosing a career has been then one piece of advices I’ve heard on numerous occasions. It’s important to do what you truly love. If you don’t love what you do then it’s not guaranteed you’ll give your all.


The AIMO trip to the America’s Apparel Mart in Atlanta this October was such an eye opening experience. There are so many avenues, different career paths, in Fashion than what simply meets the eye. We were able to meet and speak with some of the most driven and inspirational people who work and attend the Mart, which also made way for gaining helpful information, resources, and networking opportunities.



After the trip I had the amazing opportunity to interview the young and successful Dana Boerckel who holds the sales position for the Jessica Simpson Collection, G-III Apparel Group, in New York. Hearing about her experiences and how she has gotten to where she is in her career now has motivated me to continue to embrace all the opportunities that can help me build the career I long for in fashion.

Take a look at my most inspiring interview pieces yet!


AB: Tell me a little bit about your background?

DB: I did my first internship during a summer in high school, for design with Calvin Klein. My family knew someone who worked for the company and that’s how I was able to get the internship. After I graduated from high school I attended F.I.T and continued from there.   

I later started working for Rampage which was my first full time paid internship. This was the job that exposed me the most to wholesale and got my foot in the door because I gained so much experience before graduating college. I worked as a sales assistant the summer of my junior year at FIT.

My senior year in college I did an internship with Valentino for the women’s pret a porte collection in their New York showroom. I didn’t get a job with them in the end but it was a great experience I’ll always remember.

I also worked retails jobs during college to gain experience at BCBG Max Azria and Hugo Boss.
I realized buying wasn’t my niche because it’s very numbers driven and isn’t what it used to be years ago in my opinion. Sales is more product driven while still being able to work on the business and production end. You have your hands in all different aspects at all times. Sales to me is more dynamic. It’s fast pace and not a regular 9 to 5.

Head hunters (Employment Agency that specializes in certain fields to find job candidates for employers) found me the position that I currently have now.


AB: What do the duties of your job entail? What’s a typical day for you like?

DB: Working in sales I’m what could be considered the middle person. I work with the dress division for the Jessica Simpson Collection and Vince Camuto. I wear a lot of hats. I’m not only involved in the business side, but we interact with our design team, production, accounts payable and the warehouses.
           
Market week is always the 1st or 2nd week of the month. We show the new collections to buyers and collaborate with them on what should be on the stores selling floor each month. Each week we analyze selling and look for any opportunities to offer buyers re-orders to maximize on selling the garments that customers are responding to.
           

AB: How long have you worked there?

DB: A year and a half
I got promoted from sales assistant to account executive after 5 months.


AB: What’s your definition of style?

DB: I think the definition of style is following the trends but making it your own. Style is whatever you make it and can be influenced by many different things in the world whether its your peers, a celebrity, or what makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. It can derive from anything.


AB: Describe your personal style?

DB: I would say my personal style is contemporary trendy/edgy but still classic at times. Our dress lines are designed that way as well offering something for every girl who has somewhere to go whether its works or a wedding.


AB: Name items that you would consider being on your fall favorites list:

DB:
- Leather
- Lace (even though I’ve always loved lace before it was considered a “trend”)
- Smoking slippers
- Anything embellished and shiny


AB: What inspires you at work?

DB: I would say it’s inspiring to know that I’m helping make a woman feel great about herself when she puts on a dress that I sold to her favorite store. And it feels great to be part of a large company and know that you are contributing to their success at the end of the day.


AB: Who are your favorite designers?

DB:
Yves Saint Laurent
Chanel
Valentino

I’m a big shoe person. I’ll splurge on shoes and accessories but mix it with affordable clothing. When I’m not wearing Jessica Simspon or Vince Camuto, I shop at stores such as H&M, Urban Outfitters, Zara, Rulelala.com and BCBG. I’m like contemporary brands like Alice and Olivia or Parker. I don’t like paying full price for anything since I understand the markup.


AB: What do you do with your free time, how do you relax from your busy work life?
DB: A typical work day for me is from 9am to about 6:30pm. Prioritizing is a must in order to get things done. Works Monday to Friday and have Saturdays and Sundays off. I make time to do things after works such as going to the gym or meeting with friends for dinner.
                       
AB: What would you say goes into having a successful career?
                    
DB: Anything that you’re passionate about or have interest in. It’s important to expose yourself to as much as you can.
                    
I had a double major in college, majoring fashion and minoring in home fashion. It wasn’t until I shadowed someone the home market I realized I definitely wanted to work in fashion. Shadowing is a great way to network and see what types of jobs there are without committing too much of your time like an internship is.
When you start out you need to prove yourself in this business and be a hard worker. You need to put your time in. That’s important.

AB: If you had a choice of working in any other career field what would it be and why?
DB: Food critic or a travel agent. Love to travel and I love food and trying new places that offer a new culinary experience.

Dana Boerckel (Center of the first row), Freddy Simon (Center of the second row), and AIMO members during the Atlanta trip at America's Apparel Mart this October.

AB: What advice would you give college students who are majoring in the merchandising or design program or to someone who would like to follow in your footsteps career wise?
           
DB:
  • Shadowing is a great thing to see what someone does and to see if it’s something that you really want to do.
  • It’s good to try new things to get a sense of what type of environment you would like to be in.
  • Confidence is key!
  • Don’t be afraid to contact people, what’s the worst that could happen?
  • (A few girls in AIMO contacted her after the trip, she was really impressed)
  • When you’re in school you have so many doors that are open to you. Companies are really willing to take you on and help you out.

AB: Where do you see yourself within the next five years?
           
DB: I see myself being a Sales Manager or Sales Director by 30. Its part of my own personal goal timeline. But sometimes you have to sit back and just live in the moment and focus on the present in order to get there.



It is evident that Dana's hard work and consistency has helped her obtain great experiences as well as a successful career. Having success or being successful doesn't simply happen overnight, it takes time and effort. I hope that by reading this interview piece you're encouraged to find out what your true passion is, and pursue it wholeheartedly.

Always remember passion is key!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.